BOTE EXPANSION -> being gay in the uk
welcome to beginning of the end

GRYFFINDOR

RAVENCLAW

HUFFLEPUFF

SLYTHERIN

homesearchMEMBERSRULESPLOTCANONSAPPLICATIONFACECLAIMADVERTISEAFFILIATE
the beginning of the end is a trio era harry potter roleplay. we are currently set in 1991 and will be roleplaying through harry's years and beyond. immerse yourself within the pages rowling has created. get involved and even make changes to the story we all know.
october

Add Reply
New Poll

being gay in the uk
BOWMAN COLLINGWOOD
 Posted: Apr 2 2018, 04:32 PM
RAVENCLAW ☆ 11 ☆ Pure Blood

first year
35 Sickles
plotter

Hey so, I don't mean to be a total pest about this, but I just wanted to offer some more information about homosexuality in the UK. I wrote a research paper on it when I was doing my master's in modern European history.

In the UK, the Offences Against the Person Act of 1861 and the 1885 Labouchere Amendment outlawed every homosexual act.

But in 1957, Jeremy Wolfenden came out to his father, John Wolfenden, a British educationalist. So John actually brought together a large panel of people to research homosexuality and investigate its relation to prostitution. The panel produced The Wolfenden Report which recommended the decriminalization of same-sex acts and that gay people were just like anyone else.

Then, in 1961, a hallmark movie came out called Victim. It was the first English-language film to use the word "homosexual" and portrayed the main character as a victim of homophobia throughout the whole film. Other films like The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner talked about the loneliness gay men felt in the world they lived in, so the attitudes towards gay people had definitely changed. I watched both for my paper, they were heartbreaking!!!

In England and Wales, the Sexual Offences Act of 1967 decriminalized homosexual acts between two men who were of the age of consent (21). The Criminal Justice Act of 1980 did the same thing in Scotland. Civil partnerships were allowed in 2005.

So I just wanted to say it wasn't totally illegal to be gay. But it's definitely something to keep under your hat in certain places because anti-discrimination doesn't come until after 2000.

I hope this was helpful and not annoying :'(

PM
^
ELIZA CUNNINGHAM
 Posted: Apr 4 2018, 04:53 PM
ADMIN ☆ 11 ☆ Muggleborn

first year gryffindor
61 Sickles
plotter

That's really great to learn. (:

Still, though, 1991 was not a good environment for anyone LGBTQ+. I really just mentioned it because a lot of us are on the Proboards site in 2011 where many gay, bi, etc. characters abound and don't have any problems getting jobs, making friends, etc. which totally makes sense for 2011. But it doesn't really for Britain in 1991. And Britain is famous for just like 'we don't talk about it' sort of mentality with anything outside the norm. which I think it really would be. So more of like secret relationships and stuff. And plus, we have a lot of younger characters right now and many may think they're straight who actually aren't. But that's a whole other discussion I guess, lol.

But yeah, even though it wasn't actually illegal, people were still pretty known to skirt around the rules. People still do for other things. I mean if you want to fire someone, you can always find a reason. Or to not hire them, etc.

I just think we need to be aware that the acceptance and thinking of LGBTQ+ people's place in the world is totally different between the two sites. But gonna repeat this again, still not condoning any homophobic, etc. characters or actions on here, so it'll mostly be NPC and just like being aware that the worlds are different.

And again, thank you for the education. =D

--------------------
PMEmailWebsite
^
BOWMAN COLLINGWOOD
 Posted: Apr 4 2018, 08:49 PM
RAVENCLAW ☆ 11 ☆ Pure Blood

first year
35 Sickles
plotter

ELIZA CUNNINGHAM Gotcha, I understand where you were going with that now. I'm sorry for being such a huge pest sad.gif Thank you for being so kind about it.
PM
^
CONSTANCE GREVILLE
 Posted: Apr 4 2018, 10:33 PM
MOD ☆ 11 ☆ Pure Blood

first year slytherin
248 Sickles
plotter

You're not a pest. <3

--------------------
user posted image
Icon by Eliza, Sig by ;;porcelain doll@sp<3
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skinned by eliza